Monday, February 27, 2012

The Best and Worst Dressed at the 2012 Academy Awards

Best

Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace
Angelina looks sultry in this black number by Atelier Versace, it might look basic but goddess Angelina is capable of making anything looks 100 times better! The high slit is sexy, the sculptural folds is unique and I love the way she pair it with classic Ferragamo peep-toe, red lip and voluminous wavy hair. Stunning!


Cameron Diaz in Gucci Premiere
Cameron looks lovely in this cream-colored dress. The tiered ruffles add more ‘oomph’ to this chic ensemble.  For shoes she opted for Salvatore Ferragamo blush satin peep-toe pumps. Her short bob hair looks fresh and carefree. Effortlessly chic look.

Emma Stone in Giambattista Valli
 This dress gives me a déjà-vu, I saw something similar at Oscar 2007 on Nicole Kidman. While Nicole chose a more sleek and dramatic Balenciaga number, Emma chose something more relax and flirty. I love the big bow on her neck, conclusion: Emma looks great no matter what.

Nicole Kidman in Balenciaga at the 2007 Oscars

Giuliana Rancic in Tony Ward
She looks undeniably amazing in this nude-colored with sparkly embellishments dress, the silhouette is pretty, fits her perfectly. Just gorgeous! And look at the shoulder area, isn’t it beautiful? I love this dress.

Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford
One of the most risqué and fashion-forward outfit of the night, Gwyneth chose this elegant white number from Tom Ford, the unique part is the long cape on her shoulder. She completed her look with a big sparkly cuff and cocktail ring. What do you think? Me? I love this look.

Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad
Sexy and glamorous in this low neckline-low backline dress.  J.Lo looks glowing on the red carpet! She adds a pair of Lorraine Schwartz diamond earrings and a glittery Salvatore Ferragamo box clutch to complete her look. Flawless!

Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen
I am glad she finally chose something risqué for her red carpet appearance. This Alexander McQueen gown is stunning! Somewhat reminds me of Spanish matadors outfit or masquerade ball costume. The intricate gold beading and embroidery is magnificent. Amazing avant-garde look!

Kate Mara in Jack Guisso Couture
A very feminine, floral bead-embellished blush-colored dress by Jack Guisso Couture, I love the way it has a draped-shoulder on one side and pink satin ribbon belt on the waist. The overall look is beautiful, romantic and somewhat poetic.

Leslie Mann in Roberto Cavalli
I really love this midnight blue strapless dress on Leslie, the shape is lovely and understated. The sequin embellishment makes this dress special.

Maria Menounos in Maria Lucia Hohan
First, I think the color looks amazing with her skin-tone. Second, I just love the V-strap and the little peek-a-boo on her side. Very pretty.

Maya Rudolph in Johanna Johnson
I think this is her best red carpet appearance so far. From the front she looks very elegant in this plum-colored dress, from the back you can see all that fabulous sparkly embellishments.

Meryl Streep in Lanvin
Meryl herself looks like an Oscar statue, a very pretty Oscar Statue in this stunning gold Lanvin gown. I like her bold choice, how about you?

Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton
A very fun and flirty look on Michelle William. The coral color, the peplum silhouette, the sparkly brooch, the pixie cut, the bright pink lipstick, everything just very sweet and cute. I just love it.

Mila Jovovich in Elie Saab
Mila looks daring in this one shoulder dress by Elie Saab, full of gleaming sequins! to furthers her look, Milla accessorized with Edie Parker clutch and a bold red lip. I love her choice, how about you?

Missi Pyle in Valentina Delfino
Missi Pyle wore a bright turquoise eco-friendly silk gown made by cruelty-free silk worm by Valentina Delfino. The draped shoulder on one side is very flirty. Then she completes her look with a brooch on her waist area. Pretty choice.

Natalie Portman in Vintage Christian Dior Haute Couture
Natalie chose a vintage Christian Dior haute couture gown from 1954. The silhouette gives a very lady-like feel to it. Full skirt is very 50’s! the polkadots  are fun and playful. And she completed her look with outstanding diamond necklace and earrings. Goergeous without being too over done.

Octavia Spencer in Tadashi Shoji
Octavia chose this divine dress created by Tadashi Shoji. I just love the shimmering details and waist-defining silhouette. It flaunts her curves perfectly.  

Penelope Cruz in Giorgio Armani
She reminds me of Grace Kelly in this blue organza gown by Armani, the off-the-shoulder, the full skirt, and all her Chopard jewelries look magnificent on her.

Rooney Mara in Givenchy Haute Couture
One of the most-talked young actresses at this time, Rooney chose this ethereal but edgy Givenchy number. The cream color looks amazing on her. And her hair…I just love her blunt bangs! how about you?  

Rose Byrne in Vivienne Westwood
She looks glowing in this black sequined dress by Vivienne Westwood, she furthers her look by adding Chanel drop earrings, sparkly bracelet, gorgeous cocktail ring, and Jimmy Choo shoes.

Sarah Hyland in Alberta Ferretti
She donned a feminine Alberta Ferretti gown, I love the purple color, I think it looks beautiful on her. The sheer draped-shoulder on one side adds something more to this dress.

Stacy Keibler in Marchesa
Her liquid gold Marchesa gown just looks mesmerizing! The rose on her hips is just gorgeous! I believe the draped shoulder on one side is the big trend for the night. With this dress, Stacy definitely looks gorgeous!

Undecided

Kristen Wiig in J.Mendel
Don’t get me wrong,  I do love this dress, but I have a feeling that this dress would be better if she had used black satin ribbon belt /gold skinny leather belt /sparkly embellishment a la Michelle Williams on her waist. And her hair is just too ‘beachy’ and ‘everyday-wear’ for the Oscars.

Sandra Bullock in Marchesa
She opted for this classy black and white dress with sparkly waist detailing by Marchesa which I think is beautiful but doesn’t look really good on her. The top part seems too large, ill-fitting. I think it would had been better if the top part were more fitted.

Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera
It doesn’t look terrible but I think she could have done better. This dress is just too safe and boring for the Oscars.

Viola Davis in Vera Wang
She looks great without wig on but I think the material of the dress is not the right type for her body. She has amazing athletic figure which I think looks better with softer material. I think this fabric looks very ‘hard’ and stiff  on her.

Berenice Bejo in Elie Saab
That dress is amazing however I don’t like her hair at all. It just looks too ‘thin’. I would love to see her in more voluminous up do or big waves.

Shailene Woodley in Valentino
I love that she chose something demure and completes her look by adding Harry Winston diamonds. However she’s  about 20 years old and this dress is somewhat 'matrony', not glamorous enough for the Oscars.

Worst

Melissa McCarthy in Marina Rinaldi
I love Melissa McCarthy, I think she’s funny and overall an amazing person, but I’m not sure if this dress is the best choice for Melissa. It is gorgeous but the flowing material somewhat makes her look larger. 


Glenn Close in Zac Posen
The dress is nice and age-appropriate. It just very ill-fitting, especially on the stomach area.

Nancy O’Dell in Chagoury Couture
I think she has ‘too much going on’. The bright yellow, the dramatic black lace, I think this dress is going to look great on editorial photoshoot but not for red carpet.

So what do you think? Who is your favorite? Who is your least favorite? Do you agree with me? Or disagree? Tell me on the comment section below. 
PS: English is my second language. Don’t hesitate to correct my grammar I’m willing to learn. Tell me on the comment below, email me, or tweet me @melisaberry

Pictures courtesy of:
fabsugar.com
stylebistro.com

No comments:

Post a Comment