Sunday, June 26, 2011

"My Hair Isn't A Unicorn!!"

^^^ This is what I have been thinking more often than not as of late. On the hair boards I frequent, I find that we are all are in an insulated community. We are all striving for the same goals and are (more or less) engaging in healthy hair practices. However, I find that there is an abrupt shift from this in real life. In real life, I find that the "good hair" mentality is firmly entrenched in a lot of people. Well, at least the people that I have come into contact with. They take one look at my hair and say " If I had your kind of hair, I would do x,y,z" or " With your grade of hair you can do things like that" or any other comment that leaves me making the screw face.

Let me be real with yall. My hair isn't comprised of soft textured ringlets that can easily be straightened and never breaks. Nope. Not even a little a bit. My hair is coarse, tightly coiled, and I have a lot of it! My hair can also be a rebellious little such and such. However, I took the time to figure out what my hair craves (moisture, moisture, and did I forget to mention moisture?) and adopted a regimen that fits my hair ( No, I can't relax frequently and no, I definitely cannot use heat frequently). That's it. There's no magic to it...just common sense. It just frustrates me that in the AA community that this myth of good hair/bad hair still persists. What is even more saddening is that so many women think that healthy, long hair is beyond the realm of possibility.

What do yall think? Have you encountered anything like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment